R&D Laboratory Technician or Engineer
Permanent / Jour
550 Lemire Blvd., Drummondville
Under the supervision of the Laboratory and certification manager, the R & D Laboratory Technician is responsible for performing and conducting a variety of technical tests and assignments. May be required to develop and improve test benches and procedures, install instrumentation or modify test samples, models and prototypes, to insure that the engineering requirements, specifications, and test conditions are representative of design intent and certification needs.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITES AND AUTHORITY
- Set-up, instrument and test experimental and development prototypes and systems.
- Plan tests and technical tasks under his or her responsibility to ensure efficient usage of test equipment and on time delivery of results.
- Conduct various tests (i.e. air, sound, vibration, temperature, packaging, motor performance, etc.) on products or components.
- Conduct tests required for UL listing, HVI, AMCA and other agency certifications.
- Analyze, validate and communicate test results and prepare test reports on product performance.
- Carry out modifications and/or changes to test samples and prototypes to represent different product options or versions.
- Apply and develop standardized and customized test procedures and programs.
- Design, build, maintain and develop test equipment and tools to improve the efficiency of the lab test function.
- Carry-out product performance and quality audit testing.
- Evaluate returned product for cause of failure and make recommendations.
- Clean and organize his/her work area
- Perform other duties as required by management.
- Bachelor’s degree or DEC in mechanical engineering, instrumentation, industrial maintenance, HVAC or equivalent plus 2 years of practical experience with ventilation systems, electrical motor applications and controls.
- Requires experience in instrumentation, data acquisition, calibration and measurements.
- Must have MS Office skills. Experience with LabView is a strong asset.
- Strong analytical, multitask and time management abilities.
- Desirable experience and/or training in: electrical instrumentation for air flow measurement, dynamometer, motor testing, sound and vibration measurement, temperature measurement and also building electromechanical test equipment and displays.
- Desirable experience and/or training in electrical wiring, trouble shooting products, electrical circuits and circuit boards.
- Ability to read mechanical and electrical specifications and drawings.
- The work requires the ability to lift, carry and rotate 180 degrees materials and products which weigh from under ten (10) pounds to fifty (50) pounds.
- The job requires working closely with others in a team environment. It requires verbal and written communication skills, mainly in French and occasionally in English.
- Knowledge of ISO 17025, UL, CSA and ETL requirements a strong asset.